Search This Blog

Monday 3 May 2010

BUCS DAY THREE.....

Well, it's all over. Another year, another early-season 'major' Championships comes to an end. The Lufbra Echo rounds up the action from the last day.....

HOWE DENIES BATH AMBITION

Loughborough's assistant coach, David Howe has "categorically denied" rumours linking him with a big money move to Bath University. The Canadian was mobbed by journalists as he arrived at Bedford this morning after Bath chiefs were seen meeting with him late last night. This morning's Sun carried pictures of Bath students wearing "GO CANUCKS" t-shirts and quoted the University's Director of Sport saying that he "had always had the utmost respect for all Canadians". When contacted by the Echo this morning, Bath insiders revealed that University supremos were "ready to commit to the right man" to lead the athletics set up. "Bath are ready to become a major force in Track and Field," said a source, "we have secured a lot of funding and are on the lookout for someone to lead us to a BUCS Outdoor push within the next few years." The spokesman dismissed speculation that George Gandy was about to "offload" Alasdair Donaldson on the spa town.

Howe meanwhile was keeping a low profile at today's events and was carefully watched by Loughborough's security personnel. John Nutall, however, did reveal that Howe was "thinking seriously" about his future and that "any opportunity would be looked at". The Preston born coach went on, "if I was David, I would be flattered. The opportunity to lead a great team like Bath with good backing is a once in a lifetime. I hope they find someone. Maybe a disgruntled UKA employed Prestonian with an excellent CV and good track performances to match. But who knows?"

As he drove away from the stadium, Howe called the links "ridiculous" before nearly causing a major accident by pulling out in front a a speeding BMW.

'ARCTIC' TEMPERATURES FRUSTRATE BRADBURY

Gary Bradbury has called for next year's Championships to be held elsewhere after bemoaning the "stupidly cold" conditions for the 1500m final. "It was terrible," said the Woking star, "I seriously considered racing in a tracksuit." Bradbury, who finished 4th, also responded to criticism that he did not take his semi-final seriously enough after sending a text message half-way through the race. "Look, if the other guys insist on running that slowly, then I am bound to get bored," fumed the 3:43 man, "I had been meaning to text this guy back about Chelsea tickets for a while and so I thought I would before I forgot."

Bradbury was not the only man to hit out at the weather. The entire Loughborough men's 4x100m team initially refused to race owing to a "ludicrous risk" of muscular damage. Luke Stott explained from the call room, "I have just been out there and let me tell you there's no way we can run it. It wouldn't be safe." Officials have denied that they were considering bringing in heaters to warm the track for the relays. "That was never on the cards," said an insider, "it was raised by a junior staffer and we dismissed it immediately. Thankfully the Loughborough guys relented after Ian Anholm threatened to ban the use of ice baths back in the East Midlands."

EMERY 'THRILLED' AFTER SENSIBLE DISPLAY

Stephen Emery has spoken of his "delight" after securing a bronze medal in the final of the men's 5,000m. The Coventry star stunned other competitors with a lethal 27.63 final 200m and made no effort to hide his glee. "I hope this shuts everyone up now," Emery told the Echo immediately afterwards, "Ben Green and the like have been on at me for so long. Why don't I increase this or do more of that- but this proves that being sensible is what counts." So sensible was Emery that he missed the medal presentation in order to complete his systematic cool down. "What a stupid time to hold the ceremony," said the 22 year-old, "if I didn't do my jog and exercises I would live to regret it for sure."

There is no doubting Emery's impressive performance this morning. Initially sitting just behind the main pack, the 1:52 800m man made steady progress throughout the middle portion of the race and unleashed his impressive sprint at the right moment. Unfortunately for him, race leaders Nick Goolab and Rory Chesser had got away from the field by this stage and it had become a scrap for bronze. Speaking after the race, new champion Nick Goolab bemoaned a "pedestrian" opening gambit. "The first few laps were absolutely ridiculous," said the Belgrave star, "I wish I hadn't bothered to warm up now it was so slow. Eventually I decided to turn it into a tempo and Rory was the only guy brave enough to come with me." Goolab also showed a good race awareness as he kicked away from Chesser in the final 100m. "It just wasn't my day," sighed a deflated Chesser after the race, "Goolab started saying nasty things to me in the last kilometre like 'you need a hair cut' and 'your socks are rubbish'. I guess that got to me."