Search This Blog

Thursday 19 August 2010

McLEOD SEASON ENDED BY SWAN RUN IN

Ryan McLeod has had to bring an end to his 2010 track season after being head butted by a Swan, the Lufbra Echo can exclusively reveal. The 25 year-old was left visibly shaken after being chased by the bird when he was running along the Loughborough canal. “It came out of nowhere,” said the Eightlane favourite, “one minute I was knocking out a tempo and the next I had a swan on me.”

Representatives of the Swan Appreciation Group (SAG) have criticised the Tipton Harrier for jumping into the canal after the Swan and attempting to break its neck. “What else was I supposed to do?” asked McLeod, who was left with cuts and bruises after the incident, “I was only defending myself. I lost my keys in the water as well.”

The swan – who was badly injured – was rushed to a nearby treatment centre and remains in a “critical but stable” condition. A spokesman for the Leicestershire Constabulary revealed that the Swan could face “termination” if it were to recover. “We have opened an investigation into the incident,” said Dt. Supt. Plod of the Anti-Social Swan Behaviour Unit, “if it is proved that the Swan deliberately attacked Mr McLeod, we will have no option but to recommend the Death Penalty.”

McLeod had hoped to round off a hugely successful season in Cardiff next weekend, but these plans have now been ditched. “My new running shoes are ruined, I’ve got a bad cut and I can’t run along the canal,” sighed McLeod from a charity event, “I can’t be expected to compete under these conditions.” The 7:52 3k man has come in for some criticism on the popular running forum Eightlane over the bust up, with one poster demanding that he be “exercuted or sumthink [sic]”. Another anonymous contributor felt sorry for the swan stating that: “mcclouds dad probly had sumfink to do with it. bet he got loads of money for gettin a cut [sic]”.

The local authorities have said that they hope to have the canal “fully operational” by the end of the week, but in the meantime are asking boats and walkers to divert away from the area. “Our forensic team haven’t quite finished yet,” said Dt. Supt. Plod.