Search This Blog

Tuesday 16 March 2010

NEWS ROUND-UP

After a busy day in the running world, the Lufbra Echo rounds up the comings and goings around the sport

RUNNER LEFT OUT OF TEAM SHOCK
A long distance runner who has asked not to be named has been left out of Great Britain's team for the forthcoming World Cross Country Championships. UKA insiders have revealed that the runner, who underperformed at the trial race, was "absolutely devastated" at the news. The source also stated that more runners could be left out of more teams in the future.

RUNNER INCLUDED IN TEAM SHOCK
A long distance runner who has asked not to be named has been included in Great Britain's team for the forthcoming World Cross Country Championships. UKA insiders have revealed that the runner was one of a number of athletes "to be given the nod" for the event which takes place in Poland later this month.

RADCLIFFE 'DEEPLY SORRY' FOR BIN INFRACTION
Paula Radcliffe has apologised to her many sponsors for placing plastic bags into a bin intended for recycling. Leicestershire County Council have not ruled out prosecuting the World Record holder over the blunder. "I had just got back from my sixth run of the day," sobbed Radcliffe "and was just about to prepare my raw quails eggs- I just didn't think. I feel like I have let everyone down...I hope Nike, I mean, my fans can forgive me".

NIKE LAUNCH NEW RACING FLAT
Nike have launched their latest lightweight offering just in time for the Spring road season. The 'ZOOM LOADSACASH' offers innovative technology weighing in at just 0.5g per shoe. A retailer told the Lufbra Echo, "the shoe consists of a tight fitting cotton that wraps around the whole foot and ankle. It is ideal for runners looking for that extra half-yard and they can even go in the washing machine." Nike have specifically designed the racers to "wear out" after 5km of use. A spokesman enthused, "this gives runners that new shoe feel every day." The flats will cost £130.

PURDUE DENIES GORECKA SPAT
Charlotte Purdue has hailed rival Emelia Gorecka's "magnificent" run at the weekend's Inter-Country Championships. The injured star "absolutely rejected" rumours that she was "threatened" by her team mate. "It's a shame I missed Saturday- it would have been a great race. Emelia's a great girl and that text message was nothing to do with me," said Purdue.