Search This Blog

Monday 31 January 2011

NERVOUS EMERY HITS OUT AHEAD OF BUCS TEST

Stephen Emery has used his weekly press conference to attack "anyone who thinks they can come close" to him in next weekend's BUCS Cross Country Championships. The Loughborough man is set to lead the weakest African Violet team for decades, but has reacted angrily to any suggestion that this will phase him. "I am quite used to being the favourite" thundered a clearly on edge Emery "I am the big name at Coventry and I am the big name here. I have never bottled it before and I am not about to start now." He went on to state that it was "very unlikely" that he would be beaten on race day: "this is what it's all about - I am ready for it and I am going to smash anyone who comes in my way through a wall".

The 3:48 (Stretford Timing) 1500m man has not been without his difficulties in 2011. Despite topping the rankings for 5 miles, Emery failed to medal at his County Championships and openly admitted to being "dominated" in several key predictor sessions. "Training isn't important" he snapped performing one of his thrice daily calf exercises "racing is what matters and I am more than ready to prove my metal. Just you wait till race day - then you'll see how tough I am". Emery is not currently on speaking terms with George Gandy's PA - Alasdair Donaldson (who does not have the time to read this site) - after he accused the star of "not pushing it enough" in training. "What does he know anyway?" snarled Emery "he is a nothing to me - just a one season wonder, that is all."

Emery was forced to concede that he was "holding the Loughborough team together" but stopped short of joining Gary Bradbury in declaring himself "embarrassed" to be a part of it. "Pete [Matthews, the sixth man in the team] is a friend of mine" said Emery of the disgraced AAAs fraudster "and whilst it is distressing that he has made the team, we just have to get on with it. It's not like he is going to count anyway." The Coventry Godiva man also dismissed speculation that he would be relieving Ben Snowball of his captaincy on the day. "That is complete nonsense" he said "who told you that? Was it [Kevin] Seaward causing trouble like he always does? It's an open secret that I think Snowball is a joke, but constitutionally I can't challenge him and so won't even though I am the better athlete by some considerable distance".