Search This Blog

Wednesday 18 August 2010

ECHO READER TO RUN MARATHON IN AID OF HOME EXTENSION FUND

A reader of the Lufbra Echo has been so motivated by the exploits of the athletes in these pages that he has decided to don his own running shoes and run a marathon in aid of a well-deserving charity. Matt Chancer will run the London Marathon next Spring in order to raise sponsorship money for an extension to his Lincolnshire home. “My wife is always on at me to get it sorted,” enthused Chancer, 43, “and I haven’t got a job and so can’t really afford it.” The ex-decorator came up with the idea when reading our extensive coverage of athletics this summer: “I used to run a lot when I was younger and, after doing some research, I realised I could make a fortune”. Chancer is asking people to dig deep for a worthy cause: “we hope to double the size of our kitchen and also create a living space for our kids,” said the father of four, “all in all, I am looking to raise about £15,000”. Chancer, who phoned the National Accident Helpline after slipping on a wet pavement during heavy rain last December, is banking on generosity akin to that shown to a friend of his. “My mate Tom ran it for some Cancer gig last year and he made a mint,” said the Liverpool FC supporter, “so I figured if he can do it, then so can I.” Chancer has lofty ambitions for completing the marathon inside 2 hours and 10 minutes. “How hard can it be? I’ve seen those Africans do it and they don’t even eat properly.”

If you would like to support Matt in his worthy endeavour then please visit www.justgiving.com/sawyoucoming. “Don’t forget to Gift Aid all donations,” adds Chancer whilst heading out the door with his balaclava, “I get 28% more then. Bonus!”