Search This Blog

Sunday 29 August 2010

FANTASY FOOTBALL GAFFE COSTS McCORMICK CARDIFF START

Nick McCormick missed the UK Challenge Final after an error in the selection of his team for this week’s Fantasy Football. The Morpeth star was left fuming after he spotted that his “new signing” was only on the bench and, convinced that it was a flaw in the system, spent several hours on the phone trying to resolve the mix up. Having threatened to “cancel his [free] membership”, McCormick only accepted that he may have been at fault when call centre staff warned that league points would be deducted if he didn’t calm down. “Well obviously it’s disappointing,” thundered McCormick from a press conference this morning, “every point counts in this game and who knows what will happen now. If I am to re-establish myself as a major force on the UK running scene, I simply have to have a strong Fantasy season. Losing to Rimmer again just isn’t an option.”

McCormick – who was slated to run the 800m ‘B’ race – missed the start, having spent too long on the phone with Fantasy officials. “The traffic was a nightmare too,” explained the sheepish Loughborough based man, “so even if I had left on time, I may not have made it.” The snub has left BMC chiefs livid and an insider revealed that “excommunication” from the BMC fraternity had not been ruled out. “This simply isn’t good enough,” said a source, “if people abuse the opportunity to race in such a way, they may have to endure a season at regional events.” McCormick, however, was unrepentant. Branding the meeting “a waste of time anyway”, he bemoaned the “lack of accommodation for big names”. “I get fed up with fans coming and speaking to me,” sighed the GB International, “lately it’s all be ‘Fantasy League this’ and ‘Fantasy League that’. What about me? I am a human being you know. Does anyone think to ask me how I am? How am I doing? No. They only care about whether my keeper kept a clean sheet, or who I am putting as captain. It’s very poor.”