Search This Blog

Friday 29 October 2010

'I AM THE FAVOURITE': EMERY

Stephen Emery "can't bloody wait" for the first outing of the winter at tomorrow's Birmingham League at Leamington. Despite rumours that Emery is unhappy with his current arrangements at Coventry, the 1500m star has insisted that he will "give his all" to the forthcoming campaign. "There is no reason why it can't be a clean sweep" said the former Rugby & Northampton athlete "I know that if I can win tomorrow, I can get a run going...let's face it - I am the one to beat."

Emery will not have to face long time rival Sebastian Foy as the Cheltenham man has joined the legions of ex-Loughborough stars to retire from the sport. Foy conceded that his "height disadvantage" had become too much for him and announced his retirement at an emotional press conference last week. "I haven't been the same since I suffered a suspected stress fracture last Spring" said Foy "I guess it's all over for me now. I want to congratulate everyone else on all the good work they have been doing."

Emery was dismissive of the rivalry when asked about it at his own press conference and even went as far as admitting that he "never liked" Foy. Calling him a "slimy no-hoper", Emery slammed Foy's "pretences at stardom". "I have no idea what people saw in him," said the 3:48 1500m man "when it came to the track, his challenge disintegrated." When asked about potential rivals for the forthcoming series, Emery said that he "honestly couldn't think of anyone capable of getting close" to him and branded Pete Matthews "an embarrassment to the sport".

The Loughborough based engineer refused to answer questions surrounding rumours that he has approached David Howe in order to "beg" for some help. "Private business is private business," said a stern faced Emery sipping from an electrolyte drink.