Search This Blog

Sunday 8 May 2011

ATHLETICS WEEKLY 'A JOKE' SAYS EMERY

Stephen Emery has sent a "strongly worded email" to Athletics Weekly editor, Jason Henderson after the "pathetic coverage" of BUCS this week. The 5,000m silver medalist described himself as "aghast" that the men's event did not warrant a single mention. "Didn't they watch the bloody race?" thundered Emery from an energy drink event "how can they ignore me upping my bronze to silver? I can only think that it is a personal attack on me".

Henderson refused to comment this afternoon, but an insider at AW dismissed suggestions that they had anything against Emery. "Perhaps it's because it was the weakest field for decades" wondered the source "or perhaps it's because it was first thing on Monday morning and we had bigger fish to fry. Who knows - but I think Steve's remarks are very disappointing". The source went on to point out that when they included a picture of Emery at the BUCS Cross Country event (in which he finished 12th), they were "inundated with complaints".

Emery was in no mood to accept such an explanation. "Nonsense" he fumed "I saw how the photographer stopped taking pictures when it became clear that I was going to medal yet again. I said that I would and then I did. They all just need to realise that you can succeed without any junior success. I am living proof of greatness". In response to his remarks being "disappointing", Emery slammed his water bottle (chilled; pH 6.8) on the floor and said that he found "their whole excuse for a magazine disappointing".