Search This Blog

Thursday 15 April 2010

EMERY MUST GUARD AGAINST COMPLACENCY: GREEN

Ben Green has used his weekly press conference to criticise Stephen Emery’s “disappointing” attitude after a successful block of training. The Coventry Godiva man has really stepped up his form of late- most recently winning the final 800m rep in an unofficial 1:55.85. “There is no doubt Stephen is running well,” said Green from his Vilamoura base, “but what use is training form if it can’t be converted into decent track performances?” The 1:47 800m athlete went onto criticise Emery’s decision to post a video of the session on social networking site, Facebook. “That was a shame and it isn’t something that I would have done. It’s really put pressure on the lad and I just hope he doesn’t blow it to be honest.” Green went on, “I didn’t like the way he celebrated at the end, it smacked of arrogance to be honest. I hope he learns from this.”

Firm words also came from George Gandy who watched the whole session from Front Romeu via a live video feed. “He [Emery] looked good on the track,” said the guru, “but he was taking it easy on the hills. That is bound to have made a difference and I also worry that he will go stale like he did last summer.” Gandy was referring to Emery’s inability to run a significant PB over the metric mile despite claiming that he was “in better shape than most other athletes in the country.” Gandy went on, “he peaked on a 600m rep in South Africa last year and promptly kept telling everyone about it. I will start to have faith when he runs well in actual races.” Last month, Gandy conceded that he had “forgotten all about” Emery until his performance at the Leeds Relays and the LSAC Director still appears hesitant to give the 3:57 man his full backing. “Stephen and I will have a chat about how to conduct himself on and off the track...judging from the video the lad still has much to learn about tanning.” Gandy went onto point out that his personal tan was “as strong as ever” and rigorously denied using artificial enhancers to maintain it. “That is a malicious rumour spread by Ian [Stewart, UKA Endurance Chief] because it rained during his holiday in the Maldives. I guess I just naturally tan well.”

Emery, meanwhile was in no mood to play down his recent accomplishments. Branding Green “jealous” and “mentally weak”, the Loughborough star went on an extraordinary defence of his record. “I deal in facts,” stormed the 55th man home in the National Cross, “this is a fact: I won the 1200m rep last week and I won the 800m rep this. I backed off in the 10x400m session but that was only because George texted me and asked me to let Warbo [Chris Warburton] win because he cried when I beat him.” Emery went on, “I just wish everyone would stop their winging and recognise how good I am. Week after week I perform. That’s fact. You wait until the AAAs, then you’ll know how tough I am.”