Search This Blog

Monday 6 September 2010

EMERY: I COULD BE BETTER THAN FARAH

Unprecedented scenes as Loughborough’s “4th best athlete” hits out at critics

Stephen Emery has launched his new season with an extraordinary press conference from his Loughborough base. The Coventry man called the conference in order to answer some “gross untruths” that have been published on the internet and went on to claim that he will be “faster than Farah very soon”. “I did not end my season early because I was burnt out,” thundered the 3:48 (Stretford Timing) 1500m man, “I decided that it was sensible to end it at Watford [where he slumped to a 1:53 800m] and if anyone has a problem with that they should come to me rather than sending out emails lauding those who ran PBs in August. It’s pathetic”. Emery has remained silent for much of his breakthrough season, choosing to “let [his] legs do the talking”. However, ahead of the winter season the 23 year-old decided that it was time to make it clear that he “meant business”. “I respect what Mo has done,” said the 53rd man home at the National Cross, “but realistically I think we should be striving beyond 13 minutes. For me, 12:50 or possibly 12:45 needs to be the target. Maybe if I am doing that the likes of Mo and Chris [Thompson] will up their game a bit.”

Emery, who removed 9 seconds from his 1500m PB this summer said that he recognised the dangers such advancements can have. “I know that people often crash after a breakthrough season,” said Emery, “just look at Frank Baddick. He was all talk when he won the Loughborough Open back in April – what good did that do?” It seems that Emery still hasn’t got over the remarks made by Baddick after he withdrew from the 3,000m on the morning of the race: “It [Baddick’s press conference] was completely uncalled for. Hate is a strong word but sometimes when I am really hurting, I just keep thinking: Baddick, Baddick, Baddick.” For his part, Baddick has remained silent on the feud but a spokesman said that Emery was playing a dangerous game. “Frank had a disappointing season and yet he still ran significantly quicker than Mr Emery,” said Newham and Essex Beagles’ press officer, “it’s about respect in this sport and that is something Mr Emery really needs to learn about”. The NEB spokesman went on to question the accuracy of Emery’s PB: “It was set in Stretford and so in all likelihood is way out. From what I hear, his race was started with a whistle.”