Search This Blog

Sunday 17 October 2010

'DOOR ALWAYS OPEN' TO TIPTON: EMERY

Stephen Emery has indicated that he would "always consider" a move to Tipton Harriers "if the contract was right". The 1500m star is rumoured to be unhappy at Coventry after a dismal display at the 6 Stage this weekend. David Dix - Coventry's manager - has already criticised his athlete recently after Emery opted for a weekend away over competing for his club at the Midland's event. The BUCS Bronze medallist slumped to an 18:07 clocking on Saturday which was only good enough fourth fastest amongst his team mates. Such a performance will almost certainly put his place in the National Cross Country Relays in jeopardy and it is unlikely that this will sit well with the £80,000 a week star.

Speaking at a press conference this afternoon, Emery refused to rule out a switch to Coventry's midland rivals and had harsh words for his current employers. "I didn't know what leg I was to run until the morning of the race", said the 3:48 man "that isn't on. I know that McLeod [of Tipton] knew his leg weeks ago. It almost certainly cost me an individual medal." Speaking of Tipton, Emery conceded that he "had always dreamt" of a National medal and wondered whether it "would ever be possible" at his current club. "I am better than the Birmingham League" sighed Emery "I'm always associated with my stunning displays there, but I feel that I have done all I can for Coventry."

Tipton have made no secret of their desire to attract Emery - with rumours that they are ready to install him on a "significant sum" circulating in yesterday's papers. However, Emery is on a four year deal at Coventry and it is likely that his transfer fee could stretch into tens of millions. Issuing a "hands off" order, Dix said that he was "very disappointed" with Tipton, adding that it "undoubtedly contributed" to his man's appalling showing at Sutton Park. "These so-called big clubs have to learn that they are not the be all and end all," thundered Dix this evening, "it is outrageous. I will be lodging a complaint with UKA - not that they'll care."