Search This Blog

Sunday 15 May 2011

PETE MATTHEWS: THE SEARCH FOR REDEMPTION

The Sunday Interview: Pete Matthews
Branded a 'national joke' by his peers, lambasted by his coaches and ignored by selectors. The Blackburn Harrier talks exclusively to the echo about his life and future. Is it really easy to break 15 minutes for 5,000m? Are PBs really irrelevant? And crucially, is he really on his way out of Loughborough?

"Pete Matthews is a difficult man to ignore" George Gandy once pondered "but it is well worth the effort if you try". And so who was this man of whom so many people speak so lowly? There is no question that he is the most famous athlete in the country never to have broken 4 minutes for 1500m and the former GB International (Mountain Running) is not ashamed of it. "When I was a lad" said the red head "I was taught that it didn't matter what people said about you, just as long as they were talking about you."

This is certainly the case. When displaced LSAC skipper Ben Snowball asked listeners to his radio show to text in their favourite joke, 99% of the replies featured Matthews' name in some form. "It's obvious isn't it?" said Matthews tucking into a third slice of cake "people fear me or are jealous of me." Snowball and Matthews have a difficult history after the disgraced AAAs fraudster failed to finish the BUCS A race just days before recording a personal best for 5k. "I was angry with Ben about that" said Matthews of the echo interview Snowball gave "I raced BUCS on the agreement that it was better for me to be injured than to finish low down. I never went back on that".

So what does the summer hold? "PBs are irrelevant" said Matthews ordering a doughnut "for me it's about how many races you win. I have achieved far more in the sport than some guys who are running low 3:40s for 1500m". Matthews was coy on what he thought he could achieve, but refused to rule out qualifying for the AAAs U23 Championships as of right this year rather than fictionalising his PB. It is thought that he may even attempt to break 4 minutes for 1500m.

Finally, the big question: where next? "I can't say for sure" smiled Matthews looking up from his hot chocolate "I know George doesn't want me here [in Loughborough] and so who knows - maybe I'll stick it out".